Scoil Na Croise Naofa, Geashill
The present school opened in 1970 replacing the old school and Raheen school which closed in 1969.
It was built as a three-room school. In 1983 the extension was built to the school including a General Purpose room, office, storerooms and toilets; also a tarmacadam basketball court was built at the rear of the school. Some refurbishment work has taken place over the last few years.
We think that our school's name Scoil Na Croise Naofa was called after the Priory of the Holy Cross, an ancient Augustinian monastery in Killeigh which was closed down by Henry VIII in the 1540's or shortly afterwards.
There has been a school on this site since 1862. It was built by Lord Digby for the children of Geashill. Lord Digby owned the village and the land around it. It was built of limestone. The old school still stands today. It is right beside our present school.
The old school is now called the Geashill Heritage and Community Centre. It was officially opened as this on 7 September 2005. It has a new roof and new windows.
Inside there are new wooden floors.
A committee worked very hard to renovate the building. They received grants from different groups. The old school is now used as a meeting place for the people of the area.